Ways To Participate
There are three ways to participate in this opportunity:
Donate one or more pieces of artwork (no maximum).
Ownership of the artwork transfers to Hoofbeats Sanctuary on arrival.
If the artwork sells during the exhibition, the proceeds will be retained by Hoofbeats Sanctuary (less a commission payable to the Gallery)
If the artwork does not sell during the exhibition, Hoofbeats Sanctuary will continue to advertise the artwork until it sells.
The artist is able to set a minimum sale price to prevent their work from being undervalued.
Hoofbeats Sanctuary is an initiative of Kanyini Connections Ltd – a charity with Deductible Gift Recipient endorsement. All donations of cash or artworks are tax deductible.
Provide one or more pieces of artwork on consignment with a share of the sale price to be donated to Hoofbeats Sanctuary (maximum of 2 pieces).
The artist retains ownership of the artwork.
If the artwork sells during the exhibition, a commission is payable to the Gallery. After the commission has been deducted, the remaining funds will be split between the artist and Hoofbeats Sanctuary as per the artist’s instruction (the minimum % to be donated to Hoofbeats Sanctuary is 50% – there is no maximum % to be donated.
The artist is able to set a minimum sale price to prevent their work from being undervalued.
If the artwork does not sell during the exhibition, it is the artist’s responsibility to arrange for the collection of the artwork, from the Gallery, on Monday 1 May 2023. The artist may choose to donate the art to Hoofbeats Sanctuary instead of collecting it.
The artist may choose to submit both donated and consignment pieces.
Terms & Conditions
- Work in any media inclusive of painting, drawing, printmaking, mixed media, photography, 3D and sculpture
- Works in most sizes are eligible
- Works must be ready to hang (if applicable).
The Exhibition is open to all artists however the Art Prize is only open to artists resident in Australia.
- Applications will only be accepted via the online entry form on this website.
- Applicants must have an email address as all correspondence will be by email.
- All entries must be received on or before the closing date as specified in the Exhibition in Brief. Online entry will be unavailable after this date.
- All images must be a .jpg file and be of the work in its entirety. Each image must be less than 2MB in size, and should be no larger than 1200 pixels – longest side.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- All works must be original works by the artist.
- All works must depict one or more horses, at liberty, wearing no tack/equipment.
- All works must be made available for sale.
- All works must be made available for display at Butter Factory Arts Centre (the Gallery) during the entire period of the exhibition.
- A commission is payable to the Gallery in respect of each work sold during the exhibition. A 25% commission fee will be deducted from the sale price for the work prior to any payment being made to Hoofbeats Sanctuary. For works submitted on a consignment basis, payment to the artist will be made by Hoofbeats Sanctuary, after the funds are received from the Gallery.
- Although all care will be exercised in handling work, neither the Gallery nor Hoofbeats Sanctuary, nor any of its employees, agents or volunteer helpers will be responsible for any damage to, or loss of, a work however caused, whether by accident, negligence or otherwise.
- Each artist is responsible for acquiring their own insurance for the exhibition and for works in transit.
- Artists who are unable to personally deliver and collect their work need to make provision for the cost of packing, delivery, unpacking and repacking and return of same. Works will not be returned via courier unless prior arrangements have been made with the exhibition coordinator. All costs associated with delivery and collection of works are the responsibility of the artist.
- Artists authorize and agree to permit Hoofbeats Sanctuary and the Gallery and/or their agent to photograph the work, publish the photographs to promote the current and future exhibitions, use the photographs to create postcards/greeting cards of the work that may be made available for sale throughout and after the exhibition to raise funds for Hoofbeats Sanctuary. All cards will include artist credits and acknowledgement of their generosity.
- All works must be delivered to Butter Factory Arts Centre, 11A Maple Street, Cooroy, 4563 between 10.00am – 3.00pm on Tuesday 28 March 2023. Works may be delivered earlier, by arrangement, to Hoofbeats Sanctuary if necessary.
- All works must be clearly marked with the artist’s name, address, the title of the work, the medium and the sale price.
- All works to be hung must be ready to hang. Two-dimensional works must be framed or a stretched canvas and fitted on the back of the work with D rings. Picture hanging wire/cord of suitable strength is to be attached.
- Photographs and other works on paper must be suitably mounted or otherwise prepared for display.
- The Gallery staff will install the works.
- The presentation of very heavy works and works involving complex installations must be carried out by the artists personally.
- Unsold works submitted on consignment must be collected from Butter Factory Arts Centre, 11A Maple Street, Cooroy, 4563, between 10.00am – 3.00pm on Tuesday 2 May 2023.
- Interstate applicants should arrange for a courier to pack and remove the work/s during those hours.
- Works not collected, and in the absence of appropriate arrangements stated above at the expiry of a further one week, will be deemed to be the property of Hoofbeats Sanctuary.
- The judging panel will be comprised of leaders in our local business community, recognised arts industry representatives and a representative from each major sponsor. All judges will be independent of all artists, the Gallery and Hoofbeats Sanctuary.
- Artists and works must meet all the conditions of entry to be eligible for judging.
- One winning work and one runner-up will be chosen in each category.
- Each of the winning works from each category will then become finalists in the Major Art Prize.
- The decision of the judging panel is final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
- A People’s Choice Prize will be voted on by exhibition visitors. Each visitor will receive one vote form to submit for their chosen work. The work with the most votes at the close of business on Friday 28 April 2023.
- Category and Major Prize winners will be announced at the opening event on Friday 31 March 2023. The Winner of the People’s Choice Prize will be announced at the closing event on Saturday 29 April 2023.
The winner of the Major Prize will receive $2,500 in addition to their Category Prize.
The Major Prize is acquisitive. This means that:
- the artist cannot receive both the prize money AND a percentage of the sale price if the artwork has been sold.
- for an artwork that was submitted on consignment and sold during the exhibition, the artist will receive the prize money only. The sale price, less commission to the Gallery, would be retained in full by Hoofbeats Sanctuary.
- for an artwork that was submitted on consignment and not sold during the exhibition, the artist will receive the prize money and Hoofbeats Sanctuary receives ownership of the work.
- for an artwork that was donated, regardless of whether or not it is sold during the exhibition, the artist will receive the prize money and Hoofbeats Sanctuary retains ownership of the work (if unsold) or the full sale price (less commission).
The winners of the Category Prizes will each receive $2,500. The Category Prizes are non- acquisitive*
The Runners Up in each category will receive $1,000. The Runners Up Prizes are non-acquisitive*
The winner of the People’s Choice Prize will receive $2,000. The People’s Choice Prize is non-acquisitive*
* The whole purpose of the exhibition is to raise funds for the charity AND for our wonderful artists. In the scenario where a work wins a prize but does not sell during the exhibition, the artist will benefit financially from entering, but the sanctuary would not. We would appreciate it if the winners of the non-acquisitive prizes would consider making a tax deductible donation to the sanctuary if they find themselves in this scenario.
- Category & Major Prize Winners will receive a cheque on the Opening Night as announcements are made.
- The winner of the People’s Choice Prize will receive a cheque on the Closing Night as the announcement is made.
For Works on Consignment:
- The Gallery will provide statement for the commission on all sales of the works to Hoofbeats Sanctuary in the month following the close of the exhibition. The Gallery will list all items sold, the total amount and the final amount paid to Hoofbeats Sanctuary, less commission. The final amount due to Hoofbeats Sanctuary will be direct deposited into the nominated account within 4 weeks from the end of the exhibition.
- Once the final amount has been cleared, Hoofbeats Sanctuary will ask each artist with consignment works to invoice Hoofbeats Sanctuary for the agreed amount. Invoices will be paid within 7 days of receipt.
Entries for 2023 are now closed
Please carefully read the Terms & Conditions before completing the Entry Form.
If submitting multiple works, please complete a separate Entry Form for each.